Competing with the Star Excerpt 1



Two days passed and Nick hadn’t called again. I couldn’t blame him. After all, I had pushed for him to be honest and then had bailed on him. I’m sure he was mad at me for telling him he could tell me the truth and then I punished him for it—and he would be right. I couldn’t handle the icky feelings, and instead of being a big girl and dealing with them, I came home from school and retreated into the world of books. A world where people were kidnapped, jewels were stolen, but nobody’s heart ever got broken because in my favorite series, The Raven Chronicles, Raven’s boyfriend, Fernando, was ever faithful and loyal and would never even look at another girl. He was the perfect book boyfriend. In other words, he was fictional and didn’t exist.
I saw I had a text from Simone. Oh great, maybe she was asking for my blessing to go out with Nick, or if I was still planning to go to Watson High School next year so she could make out with him in a different hallway from my locker.  
Simone: Are you mad at me? Nick said you’re upset because you found out he used to like me.  
Oh fabulous. He told her the whole gross story. Well, of course he did, seeing as how he was always over with her clique and he could tell the love of his life anything.  
Me: Whatever. It’s not important.  
Simone: He said he hasn’t talked to you in days because you hung up on him and won’t return his messages.  
Me: It’s not a big deal.  
Simone: It is to him. You hurt him. You know I don’t like him, right?  
Me: Did you ever?  
Simone: Can we talk about this on the phone? I’m calling you.  
I had no choice but to pick up. “Okay, I’m going to be honest with you,” Simone said after I answered the phone. “He was super crazy about me and honestly, it freaked me out a little. And did I think about going out with him? Not right away, but yeah. I thought about it, but he only started to look cute to me once he was with you. I know that sounds super bad, but I didn’t notice him until you guys were a thing.”

“What?” I asked. It felt like my stomach plummeted several stories down.




___________________________________________
Author's Social Media/Websites

 Purchase Links:

Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram