Author Catherine Bennett







How did you become a writer?

When I was young, I spent a lot of time in my local library. I enjoyed books and was always writing poems and short stories about make-believe places. When I got older, I knew I wanted to be a published author.

After I finished my first book, The Trouble With Charlie, finding publishers was easy (there are so many out there), but getting the manuscript accepted was more difficult than I imagined. I had no connections to anyone in the industry; I was like a tiny minnow swimming upstream. Crafting a query letter that didn’t end up in a publisher’s slush pile was my first challenge. After that, I queried many publishers, only to receive rejections. Finally, an author told me about Astraea Press and it was a perfect fit for both of my clean romances.

What inspired you to write “Devon’s Choice”?

I wanted the book to be an Inspirational Romance. I drew from difficult experiences in my own life where I had to trust God’s plan. Likewise, the main characters in the book face heartbreak and disappointment, but have to make choices about their faith in God.

Interesting things about “Devon’s Choice”:
I love the fact that the heroine, Devon is Irish (my own background). I also wrote the book around things that I know…coffee shops, my hometown, even the breed of Devon's dog (I also have a black Labrador).  Devon is a modern gal, with her own home-based Internet company.

What part of writing do you enjoy the most?  

I love writing dialogue because it truly brings your character to life. Each character should have their own way of speaking such as Devon’s father with his Irish dialect, or certain phrases that are unique to the character.

What's one piece of advice you would give aspiring authors?

Never stop reading. It’s the basis for knowing how to write well.







           Catherine Bennett’s Top Ten Favorite Movies

The Lord of the Rings – The Return of the King
The Hobbit – The Desolation of Smaug
Gone with the Wind
Toy Story (Disney)
Singin’ In The Rain
Batman – The Dark Knight
Finding Nemo (Disney)
You’ve Got Mail
Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade
The Wizard of Oz





Social Media Links:

Buy Links:

Unknown

1 comment:

Instagram