Interview with Author Christy Heron




Q. Where did you get the idea for Unrequited - One Girl, Thirteen Boyfriends, and Vodka?
A. I wanted to tell a story of someone who was emotionally challenged (and doesn’t know it, want to accept it, or care) a mistake maker (without many consequences) but outwardly beautiful and spoiled (but not too egotistical) … and what she would do when finally someone told her “No.”

When that old cliché clocked her in the neck. You know the cliché I’m talking about, right? J


Q. Were you good at English while in school?
A. Hmm. I was in AP Eng. in HS and I still remember some of what amazing works we read, and in college I don't think i took one class. I was on another career trajectory... I love reading lit that is good. Usually mid century and older. There are some authors and poets who I like from the last 60 years too. When you look hard, there are so many writers in the world. so I have to weed many out to enjoy reading. But I do think I excelled at English during my education, especially in k-12.


Q. What do you do when you get writer’s block?
A. what I get is overwhelmed. Writing takes it all out of me, and when I start a new project, I have pages of notes from everywhere (journals, on the computer, on slips of paper and post its)

That is when I shut down. That is my block. When there is too much to process. And I don’t do outlines or “plans” – that is just more work taking away from the writing. I do more planning for edits. What to watch out for at the end.


Q. Use the first three words that come to mind when you think of your book?
A. Rad, underappreciated, and fresh.


Q. Are you working on a new writing project? If so, can you tell us a bit about it?
A. Yes always have stuff on backburners.
Comeing out in the next two years:
Soulcrusher
Anti Fat
Twenty Something and Blonde


Q. What was the hardest thing about writing this book?
A. The re-edits. Sometimes I whimpered and cried at the thought of re-reading hundreds of pages again. and again. And going back and forth with the editor. Then he would make mistakes and the whole thing would be fucked up. And I was so determined to make it to a certain release date. And then you have to step back. That is more time going by. There was no way I was publishing something that had any noticeable typos. And if there are, no one tell me! You can edit something forever.


Q. How did your cover come about?
A. Same thing. A million times going back and forth about it with the firm who put it together for me. I designed it but they were crucial in making it beautiful and polished and ready to be submitted. I really wanted something chic and dramatic. I didn’t want a forlorn woman on the front. Next time I don’t think I will give in so easily.

But I have very specific, aberrant taste. In everything! And if readers want a girl on the front, then so be it. I want others to enjoy Unrequited, not me.


Q. What is your favorite website to talk about your book on?
A. Christyheron.com, twitter and my blog.
Is that selfish? Google is an insane platform too, as is FB… but thank god for Kyrstin Pull, who is the exec VP of SEO for Waverly Blonde Books, my publishing company. She knows what to do. I want coverage. So I will go anywhere she wants. I’m not on FB much. I’m a twitter girl.


Q. Do you have a go to writing snack and/or drink?
A. at 5am coffee (but placed far away from my computer!) and afternoon diet coke. But honestly I don’t eat or drink much when I write. I would probably let the coffee sit there for an hour before I touch it.


Q. If you could spend time in your book,  Unrequited - One Girl, Thirteen Boyfriends, and Vodka,  would you? If so why? If not why not?
A. Oh hell yes. Be drunk, be in my twenties, be at the beach. If I were a character I’d be Vanity Fair. She seemed to have her shit together.

Or the owner of the bar. But seriously: I would. For a day to watch January at her worst and learn from her mistakes.



Christy Heron can be reached at:
authorchristyheron@gmail.com OR through her SEO Kyrstin Pull Kyrstinpull@gmail.com

Links of Social Media and Buy Links for book :



Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram