Interview with Michele Barrow-Belisle




1. Tell us a little about ' the Faerie Song Trilogy'? The books follow the main character Lorelei, a teen girl who’s gifted with strange powers. She eventually learns the nature of her gifts and the series follows her journey to discovering the destiny she has no knowledge of, the incredible realm she is connected to, the two polar opposite beings who love her, and the dark forces opposing her every move. It’s a complex and interwoven story, with a full cast of characters, which makes it a little more difficult to sum up, but without giving too much away, that’s the gist of it.

2. How did you develop your main character, Lorelei? Her character sort of just came to me. Everything about her from her personality to her physical appearance, even the way she speaks. It was strange. Some characters I had to dream up or invent and sort of assign them traits and flaws, but Lorelei came with all of the info from the start. And I think because I was writing a trilogy, it was easier to write her character, because she has three books to grow into the person she’s becoming.

3. What kind of others stories do you write? I write mainly young adult fantasy, paranormal and dystopian romance. I also have a children’s picture book series coming out at the end of the year, which was really fun to write and illustrate. Aside from that I’ve written several non-fiction how-to art instruction books.

4. What books have fortified you as a writer? There really have been so many it’s hard to list them all. I think everything you read, watch and experience becomes a part of you in some way and the same is true for books. They live inside your soul. I suppose the books I loved in childhood were the foundations for my love affair with fiction. The Hobbit, The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, and Alice in Wonderland were definitely some of my very favorites.

5. How has your writing changed you? I think it’s made me more observant. I’ve always loved people-watching but now it’s different. I notice more details. Gestures and expressions even the subtle ones. And I’m always hyper-analyzing tv shows and movies, deconstructing their plots, lol. It sort of drives people crazy.

6. Do you ever get writer’s Block and tips on how to get over it? I don’t get writer’s block often thankfully. But if it happens, I take it as a sign to just stop and focus on something else for a while. Grab a great book to read, or watch some television (something I don’t get to do very much of). I find that letting it go and relaxing is the best way to get back into the writing flow. And then when I come back to it, even if it’s only a few paragraphs at first, eventually things open up again and the block is dissolved.

7. Do you work to an outline or plot or do you let your ideas takes you? I tend not to outline. I tried it once and it completely sucked all of the inspiration out of the story and I had to set it aside. I’m more of a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants writer. I don’t write in a linear fashion either, I tend to bounce around from scene to scene. I’ll start a scene and not always know exactly where it’s going to fit in to the story, but somehow like magic, it almost always does.

SOCIAL MEDIA LINKS:

Website  (join my mailing list)






Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram