Scone Interview with Author Mya O'Malley




Mya O’Malley – Double Decker Books Interview Form


  1. What are your ambitions for your writing career?

I have many ambitions for my career as a writer. I wish to promote the books that I already have published so that I can share my stories with others. The use of social media has been tremendously helpful to me, now I would like to expand my reach to my local area as well. I would be thrilled to participate in book signings, visit with local libraries and other venues. I would also like to continue to write more books because I have so many ideas that I want to see come to life in print.  I have learned a lot during the writing and publication process already, but I feel that there’s so much more information out there to gain. One of my goals is to connect with more authors and collaborate on many aspects of writing. I think it would be great to attend more author events and conferences to mingle with fellow authors.
  1. Which writers inspire you?
The list could go on and on. There are truly so many talented authors that have inspired me to write my own stories.  Nicholas Sparks is right up there, he writes touching love stories that have great plots that stay with you long after you have finished reading his books. I guess you could say I have eclectic tastes in books, many years ago I was a huge Dean Koontz fan, I also enjoy reading James Patterson, Jodi Picoult and Lisa Jackson. In a way, all of these authors have inspired me.

  1. If you could say give advice to one of your characters who would it be and what would you tell them?
It would have to be Mia in Where There is Love. Without giving away too much of the plot, I would advise her to give herself a break and look at all she has accomplished. Mia is a strong, beautiful character that struggles with her past. I would tell her that she can do anything she puts her mind to and that she deserves happiness.

  1. What was the hardest thing about writing your latest book?
My latest book is a young adult fantasy story about a young teen who feels that the grass is always greener everywhere else. I had so much fun writing this story as it was my first real young adult novel, my other novels fall into the genre of contemporary romance.  The hardest thing was to think about my main character’s age and try to convey the thoughts of a young teen throughout the text. Also, the story’s setting focuses on an underwater village filled with mermaids. It was challenging to place my characters in the ocean and portray the actions of these characters from this setting.  My antagonist in this book was complicated, however, she was also a lot of fun to create. Overall, withstanding some challenges, I had a great time creating this story. I think it’s important for authors to challenge themselves, that’s how we grow as writers.

  1. Tell us about the cover/s and how it/they came about.
Oh, I love my covers! I’m so excited to display my covers while marketing and showing others my books. My cover for At First Sight is perfect for this story. The cover is fun and flirty, it portrays my characters perfectly. My main character, Annie, reluctantly tries online dating after her divorce while holding out for the idea of love at first sight.  The cover has a computer mouse in the center of the beautiful cover. My publisher, Astraea Press, provided the cover for this book and the designer, Cora Graphics, was wonderful to work with. They asked for descriptions of the characters and setting, the theme of the book and feedback from me. I loved that cover immediately.

The cover for Where There is Love, published by Solstice Publishing, is another perfect fit for my book. I selected Classy Designs to create the depiction of my main character, Mia, and the setting of my story. I communicated my thoughts for the cover with Classy Designs and I was excited to see the final cover meet my needs. Classy designs was flexible and easy to work with. I think it’s so important to have a cover design that catches the reader’s eye, I’m pleased to have covers that I’m so proud to speak about.



Mya O’Malley Links
Where There is Love

Trailer: Where There is Love

AT FIRST SIGHT

Barnes and Nob






Social Media





Tumblr

KayCee_K

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram